Ian Ritchie Architects have extended their offices.
The new building extends the upper floor over the existing parking area, enabling all staff to be regrouped on the upper level. The design is based upon contrasting textures and materials.
A plain new silver extension – shot-peened stainless steel and glass walls – contrasts with the articulated existing yellow brick 1900 building. The proportions of the new complement the old. A glass slice, 1.2 metres wide, visually separates the two volumes; the floor, roof and ends are all glazed.
A new landscaped roof terrace incorporates a very large diffusing glass table which protects the natural venting roof light below and provides light to the central area.
A blue floor throughout, together with suspended bespoke designed storage units, tables and lighting creates a sense of continuity between the old and new.
The extension was completed in 2003, and new and larger model workshop equipped with 3d rapid prototyping and laser cutter added independently below the new extension in 2008, alongside a covered full-scale mock-up area.